Power outages can be caused by different things. Severe weather like blizzards, hailstorms, or tornados can bring about destructive forces that could cut power for days on out. However, what is the best thing to do in order to prepare for such events? Although it might not come quite often, it pays to be ready. However, you will need the services of an electrician to set everything up.
Here’s how to prepare for prolonged power outages:
Power outages come unexpectedly. You really can’t determine it will come. However, what you can be sure of is being prepared. You should have the following ready as a means of preparing for extended power outages:
- Flashlight and extra batteries – it’s important to have a source of light handy when the power goes out. However, you should also keep extra batteries just in case. Also, store the flashlight and batteries in easy-access locations. In a place where you don’t need to have a difficult time searching for them in the dark.
- Matches and candles – electronics may fail during outages. On the other hand, traditional light sources such as matches and candles won’t. Be sure to also have them prepared alongside your flashlights and batteries.
Prepares emergency kits in advance
A great way to pull through a long period without electricity is to have everything ready in advance. Get your gear ready and your emergency kit prepared beforehand. Store the following in your power outage emergency kit:
- One or two more spare flashlights and batteries. You will never know how long the power is going to be out. Having additional light sources will come in very handy.
- A battery-operated radio and a preferable one that is packed with features such as solar power and hand-crank generator support.
- Bottle water and other non-perishable food that could last for days or weeks.
If you’ve followed the items above, you’re all set in case the power goes out for an extended period. You can also do the following in case the power goes out in your home and there’s no power outage elsewhere:
- Check the service panel. The electrical panel will probably hold the answer as to why there’s no power in your home.
- Check the circuit breakers. To quickly determine if there’s power or none, turn the circuit breakers off and on.
- Call a local Florence electrician to come and check your home’s electric system.
Turn of all your appliances
It helps to turn off your appliances when the power is out. This is another precautionary measure to prevent power surges from frying the electrical components of your home appliances. It’s not enough to turn down the knob or dial. Be sure to unplug appliances from the electrical outlet.
Consider installing a whole-house generator
You’ll never know you need a whole-house generator until the power goes out for quite some time. Call an expert like Florence Electrician Pros to know more about the perfect options for your home. There are various types of home generators to choose from. Although it is a big investment, it will make a difference when that crucial time comes.
Are you looking for reliable electrician services in Florence? Look no further! You may reach us at (843) 212-4173.
Florence Electrician Pros
Florence, SC 29501