More than 25,000 electrical fires are reported in the United States on a yearly basis. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, these results to the injury or death of more than 1,300 people. Home electrical fires cause more dollar loss per fire when compared to non electrical fires. Even more shocking is that all those electrical fires could have been prevented if only homeowners took time to follow some simple steps. Listed below are some tips provided by expert electricians to prevent electrical fires.
In case you are living in an older home, you need to hire a professional electrician to conduct an inspection in your home electrical wiring. The wiring of your electrical system will not last forever and that means if your house has been standing for decades, then you should consider having its electrical system rewired. This holds true for houses that has aluminum wiring, which is more susceptible to electrical fires than copper wiring. The Copper Development Association said that all contemporary homes must have 12 American Wire Gauge or AWG solid copper wiring so they can meet the demands of most modern appliances. In case your house still has the thinner 14-AWG, hire a well trained, experienced, and reputable Florence electrician to check your electrical wiring and make the necessary recommendations.
Electrical Cord and Plug Damage
A faulty electrical wiring is another cause of electrical fires. In case you notice any wire that is tattered, frayed, or worn out, be sure to have it replaced with a new wiring. Electrical cords in poor condition easily overheat and trigger sparks that could eventually start a fire. For appliances, there are replacement cords that you can buy over the counter.
Overburdened Electrical Outlet
Overloading is one common cause of home electrical fires. This takes place whenever you plug in too many appliances into one single electrical outlet, power strip, or extension cord. The U.S. Fire Administration recommends that you purchase power strips that come with internal overload protection. This can make sure that the strip will turn off as soon as it detects an electrical overload.
Keep All Flammable Materials Away
Portable electric space heaters, hair dryer, irons, as well as lamps can be dangerous. Electrical appliances can start an electrical fire whenever they make contact with materials that are considered flammable like rugs, towels, and blankets. Do not hid cables, especially the extension cords, under carpets or rugs. They can easily start a fire if they are overheated.
Electrical Short and Wiring Problems
Unless it involves something extremely simple such as replacing a cord, fixing faulty wirings and shorts need the expertise of Florence electrician. Signs that you have a faulty wiring include sparking plugs, flickering lamps, and buzzing outlets. All of these can trigger sparks that may lead to an electrical fire.
While you are at it, be sure to change or remove any connection, wire, fuse box, or extension cord that feels warm to touch because these usually indicates an unsafe or faulty wiring connection. It could also be a sign that too much current is running through the affected circuits, which could probably lead to overload and electrical fires.
Call Florence Electrician Pros if you need help in making sure that your home is safe from electrical fires.
Florence Electrician Pros